ENTERTAINMENT & SHOPPING
The Markay Cultural Arts Center is a newly-renovated 1930's Art Deco movie house which houses a gallery and 280-seat theater. You will often find musical acts, puppet shows or plays at The Markay, located at 269 East Main Street in Jackson. The gallery hosts multiple visual arts exhibitions annually – each opening with a "Meet the Artist" Reception. Regular Gallery hours are Wednesdays through Fridays from Noon to 5 p.m. and weekends from 1 to 3 p.m. The Walnut Hills Neighborhood Box Office is open Wednesdays through Fridays, Noon until 5 p.m. and on weekends prior to showtime. Tickets can be purchased online at www.markaytickets.org or by calling 740-577-3841. The Markay is home to the D. M. Davis Male Voice Choir and a Writers’ Guild meets the 4th Monday of each month at 7 p.m.
Other Southern Ohio Arts Council offerings including the Foothills Art Festival each October at Canter’s Cave 4-H Camp, just west of Jackson, off U.S. Route 35. Visual arts, live music, and youth art activities are featured. Youth are invited to 3 weeks of free classes in Jackson, Oak Hill, and Wellston in July.
The Tri-City Theater is located at 972 E. Main Street in Jackson, offering free summer movies, gift certificates and birthday parties.
At Weber Farms, located at 914 Weber Road outside of Jackson, you can find a pumpkin patch, corn maze, safe trick or treating, hayrides, school tours and all other fall and Halloween fun.
Visit the Richard Brothers Fruit Farm 15 miles west of Jackson in Thurman, Ohio for fresh apples and peaches in season. The first commercial apple orchards were established in Jackson County in the late nineteenth century, although legend has it that Johnny Appleseed planted the first apple trees here around 1800. By 1930, there were approximately fifty orchards in ten of the county's twelve townships. Twenty years later, Jackson County ranked second in Ohio in apple production. The early 1950s were the high water mark of apple growing in Jackson County. In 1950, growers harvested more than 285,000 bushels from 70,200 trees. By 1959, 25,400 trees yielded 98,300 bushels, but the industry still employed approximately 500 people and was worth $1,000,000 annually. Apple cultivation began to decline in the mid-1960s in part because many families who operated commercial orchards left the business. At the start of the twenty-first century only one commercial apple orchard remained in Jackson County.
The Tea Caddy, located beside the Markay Cultural Arts Center on Main Street in Jackson, is a tea shop specializing in natural, organic, herbal, white, green, oolong and black loose leaf teas. Teaware,Silverware Jewelry,Pottery, Handmade Soaps, Candles and more available. The Tea Caddy is available for children's parties too.
Visit Henderson's Arena on Van Fossan Road in Jackson for a variety of horse showd and Barrell Racing. Henderson's Western Wear, located in front of the arena, offers a huge selection of western apparel and footwear.
Off the main highways, down a few backroads, and seemingly in the middle of nowhere, the Four Mile Bakery and General Store is a great secret nestled away in the woods of rural southern Ohio. Located at 6005 Four Mile Road, the bakery features some of the largest glazed doughnuts you've ever had in your life. The General Store features Amish pies, fresh-baked bread, hand-dipped ice cream, meats and cheeses and serves pulled pork and chicken sandwiches. Call ahead as the store has limited hours 740-286-4950.
Downtown Jackson features sidewalks and period lighting along the two major streets in the downtown business district. The historic downtown area continues to house retail businesses that specialize in many areas, such as music, sporting goods, jewelry, flowers, prom and wedding attire, hair and nail services and everyday necessities like pharmaceutical needs, business products and dining. AL Terry Jewelers continues a tradition that began in the same location in 1874, offering engagement rings, wedding bands and much more. Andrea's Prom & Bridal offers wedding dresses, tuxedo rental, prom, pageant and bridesmaid dresses and dresses for the mother of the bride. Andrea's is also a Merle Norman Cosmetic Studio. Locally owned Sport About of Jackson and The Trend Blend offer sporting goods and clothing. Hummingbird Music sells all types of musical equipment, sheet music and also offers lessons.
Locally owned Nellie Dog Pottery & Paints offers classes and parties at their paint your own pottery and art studio. The Nellie Dog studio shares space with HATCH with Norah & Phoebe, a children's boutique. Elizabeth's Flowers and Gifts, Primitive Crow, Jackson Fabric & Sewing Center, The Emporium Antiques and Collectibles, and LOCAL Gallery round out the downtown shopping experience.
The Jackson Square Shopping Center on Main Street in Jackson is anchored by a Kroger grocery store, Peebles Department Store, Dollar General, Totally Tan, and Big Lots. The Evans Center on Main Street houses Nana's House Gifts and Kelly D's Closet. Visit Guhl's Country Store, Tractor Supply and Sears of Jackson as you venture on Main Street toward Route 35.
The Jackson Wal-Mart Super Center draws visitors from surrounding counties as well as local shoppers. Across the road from WalMart is the Shoe Department, featuring shoes for the entire family and Caito, a women's clothing store.
Buckeye Furnace is a reconstructed charcoal-fired iron blast furnace with original stack, typical of those operating in southeastern Ohio's Hanging Rock Iron Region more than a century ago. Visitors to this 270-acre site can see the furnace, originally built in 1852, which went out of blast for the last time in 1894. Attached to the furnace is the reconstructed casting shed. Above the furnace is the charging loft where iron ore, limestone, and charcoal were loaded into the furnace, and the engine house which contained a steam-powered compressor. The reconstructed company store serves as a visitor orientation area. There are two nature trails.
Leo Petroglyph is near the village of Leo, five miles northwest of Jackson, in Jackson County. Leo Petroglyph is an outstanding example of prehistoric Indian inscriptions. On the edge of a beautiful ravine, the sandstone petroglyph contains 37 incised drawings of humans, animals, and human and animal footprints. It is now protected by a roof and viewing platform. The carvings, whose meaning is unknown, are attributed to Fort Ancient Indians who occupied this area between AD 1000 and 1650. A trail leads through the gorge and along the unglaciated Mississippian sandstone cliffs that are 20 to 65 feet high. Wildflowers and birds are abundant during the warmer months.
The Welsh-American Heritage Museum is located in Oak Hill, Ohio in southern Jackson County. It is open by appointment. The objectives of the museum are to foster Welsh family ties throughout the world, to collect and preserve records, artifacts, books, photographs, etc. of Welsh families in a museum setting, to keep the Welsh culture and traditions alive in the area, and to preserve for all time the old Welsh Congregational Church building.
The Lillian Jones Museum is an historical and cultural museum which provides unique opportunities for residents and visitors alike. In addition to preserving the history of the area, the museum strives to implement new programs, exhibits and events of interest for the education and enjoyment of the community. The house was built in 1867 and it's furnishings reflect this time period. In addition to a fine collection of permanent items, the museum hosts various themed exhibits throughout the year. The Carriage House Genealogy Center is located in the building behind the museum and is staffed by volunteers.
The John Wesley Powell/Morgan's Raid Ohio Historical Marker is located by the Jackson County Courthouse on Main Street in Jackson.
The Trails/The Kanawha Trail Ohio Historical Marker is located at 181 E. Main Street in Jackson.
Plan to visit our interesting museums and historic sights. Enjoy the exteriors of some of Jackson’s finest restored and maintained homes on a self-guided Architechtural Walking Tour. The emphasis is on homes built by the early 1900’s. The tour begins and ends at the Lillian E. Jones Museum. You can download the guide above or pick up a printed copy at the museum, the Chamber office, the City Building or the Markay Cultural Arts Center.